Filling, creative and delicious – this tasty dish is sure to impress!
Olive oil spray*
2 wholemeal lavash breads
2 tsp olive oil*
200g cup mushrooms, finely sliced
1 clove garlic, finely sliced
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
4 slices reduced fat sliced ham*
4 large eggs*
Extra basil leaves to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C and grease four large muffin tins with olive oil cooking spray.
2. Cut long strips of baking paper and push into tins, making sure the ends extend over the sides.
3. Cut lavash breads in half and spray with olive oil on both sides.
4. Push the lavash breads into the tins, folding over the sides; the bread corners should extend outside of the tin.
5. Bake the ‘Breakfast Bowls’ for 10 minutes until golden brown then remove from the oven and set aside.
6. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium high heat and cook mushrooms and garlic for 3-4 minutes or until softened and all the juices have been released.
7. Add tomatoes and basil and cook a further two minutes.
8. Spoon the mushroom and tomato mixture evenly between the Breakfast Bowls.
9. Cut each piece of ham in half, lengthways and position around the sides of the bowls.
10. Crack eggs into the centre of each one and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the egg is cooked to your liking.
11. To serve, remove Breakfast Bowls from tins and place onto serving plates. Garnish with extra basil leaves and serve with steamed asparagus and lightly sautéed cherry tomatoes.
Tip: The lavash bread may tear when pushed into the tin. If so, simply continue to fold over and bake as per the recipe. Bread will harden and set.
Serves: 4, Preparation time: 20 minutes, Cooking time: 30 minutes.
Recipe and image provided courtesy of Australian Egg Corporation. Reproduced with permission. © 2014 National Heart Foundation of Australia. For other healthier recipe ideas, visit www.heartfoundation.org