• 500 grams beef mince
• 1 litre beef stock
• 2 large onions (chopped)
• 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
• 2 fresh tomatoes (chopped)
• 1 red capsicum (chopped)
• 1 long red chilli (remove seeds and finely chop)
• Button mushroom (chopped) – as many or as few as you’d like depending on your taste
• 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 2 pieces dark chocolate
• Sour cream
1. Heat oil over a medium heat in a large saucepan and add mince and brown. Add onions, garlic, chilli, mushrooms, and capsicum and cook for a further 5-6 minutes.
2. Pour in beef stock and bring to the boil. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, coriander, paprika, cumin, sugar, and chocolate and give it a good stir.
3. Boil for 10 minutes stirring consistently. Turn down heat and let simmer. Simmer – stirring regularly – for at least an hour and let the stock reduce (you can allow it to simmer for as long as you want. I usually simmer for four hours as this allows the flavours to infuse).
4. Serve with rice, corn chips or by itself and add a dollop of sour cream.
NOTE: For an even more intense hit of flavour, put the chilli con carne in the fridge overnight and serve it for dinner the next day.