500g dried pasta
350g lean ham
3 sticks of celery, finely chopped
1 ½ onions, finely chopped
1 ½ tablespoons canola oil
1 ½ tablespoons plain flour
1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 small can creamed corn
¾ cup evaporated skim milk
3 teaspoons fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
1. Fill a pot with plenty of water and bring the water to the boil.
2. Add pasta to the boiling water and stir. Allow 10 minutes for pasta to cook or until tender and drain into a colander.
3. Meanwhile, finely chop ham, onion and celery.
4. Put onion and celery in a frying pan and sauté lightly in oil.
5. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Then gradually add the stock and cook until the sauce boils and thickens.
6. Add chopped ham, creamed corn, skim milk, basil and black pepper. Heat gently.
7. Toss the sauce through hot pasta and serve.